Thursday, July 30, 2009

veggies for me

Hello bloggers.

I have been reading this very interesting book titled Skinny Bitch. It is a book about nutrition, and it is supposed to give a swift kick in the ass to people wanting to lose weight. Needless to say, it contains TONS of information about what certain foods actually do to your body. I would say that it really isn't a diet book. That everyone should read it to get informed. Since reading the book, I have decided to become a vegetarian. It is something that I have always talked about, but I've never had the will power to do it until now. I've seen all of the videos and pictures that PETA flashes around everywhere [btw-- i hate PETA, and I will never be a lunatic like them (or most of them)]. There are a few reasons why I have decided to take this route.

1. It is something I have always wanted to do b/c I am a huge animal lover & always felt bad for eating meat in the first place.
2. Meat actually wreaks havoc on your body, and it is disgusting when you read about it. Eating meat everyday makes you at least 4 times more likely to have colon cancer. My great-grandma died from that.. I don't want to be like that. Plus many other disgusting things. and finally..
3. The conditions in which these animals are raised to be slaughtered are horrific. Not only are the animals treated like they have no feelings. The cleanliness of these places is disgusting. Roaches, vomit, feces, urine, disease.. EVERYWHERE! They still used diseased meat when they aren't supposed to. Usually it is ground up and used in baby food. And.. think about all of the meat recalls we have had lately.. gross. Plus, this book has about 4-5 pages of direct quotes from factory farm/slaughterhouse workers and the things they do to these animals. I started crying a few times, and I almost threw my dinner up as well.

I don't care if other people eat meat, but I just have finally decided it is definitely not for me. It is a little difficult to "detox" from being so used to eating meat, but everytime I think about a hamburger or something.. I just think about a worker proding a cow to paralyze it, and they do this unsuccessfully so the cow gets hung up and skinned alive. Plus, I have it a little easier since I love fruits and veggies. I don't really have a problem with eating more veggies. I have lots of options.

As far as the weight loss thing goes.. I'm not sure if I'd made any progress. I haven't joined Weight Watchers yet or anything, but as soon as I pay my car tags [almost $300!!!].. then I will. I'm pretty excited.

Anyways.. watching one of my fav episodes of Friends. So I'm going to go now. Bye!! :)

1 comment:

  1. gosh yeah i read that book and that is why i went vegan for a while. i am eventually going to go back to vegetarianism after i get out of school. my school's cafeteria is definitely not vegetarian friendly.

    also i would like to point out that in the state of ky car tags only cost $15. i almost passed out due to this knowledge.

    ReplyDelete